updated on: May 5, 2014
A Region by Region Guide to Your Next Trip in Ontario
I'm looking out my window and I can see that the last of the roadside snowbanks are melting away in the afternoon sun. Spring is on the horizon, and that means it's time to start planning your next motorcycle adventure.
More and more people are coming to Ontario to put distance on their bikes, and for good reason. We have world-renowned motorcycle gatherings like PD 13 in Port Dover; one of the seven wonders of the world in Niagara Falls; more freshwater lakes than almost anywhere on the planet; unmatched forested wilderness zones; mountains and shield land that make for superb technical riding; exciting cities big and small; and the friendliest people anywhere.
Ontario is bigger than many countries, so planning a trip here can be a daunting task. Where do I go? What do I want to see? Where are the best cities? Where are the best roads? Don't worry. We're going to try and make things a little easier on you.
The Ontario Ministry of Tourism has divided the Province into thirteen tourism regions, each with its own organization that brings together the most extraordinary destinations and experiences in the region.
The following thirteen articles are designed to introduce you to each region and their hidden treasures from the perspective of a motorcyclist.
- 1. Land of the Motorcycle: Ontario's Southwest
- 2. The Niagara Region: From Spectacle to the Sublime
- 3. A Rider's Guide to the Heart of Ontario: Hamilton, Halton, and Brant Region
- 4. Cruising Huron, Perth, Waterloo, and Wellington Region
- 5. Great Rides in the Greater Toronto Region
- 6. Two Wheels in the Central Counties: York, Durham, and the Hills of Headwaters
- 7. Winding through Bruce, Grey, and Simcoe Counties
- 8. King of the Road in Our Favourite Place: Northumberland, Peterborough, and the Kawarthas
- 9. The Great Waterway by Motorcycle
- 10. Motorcycle Tripping in and Around Ottawa
- 11. Spectacular Rides in Ontario's Highlands: Haliburton and the Ottawa Valley
- 12. Riding in Explorers' Edge: Muskoka, Parry Sound, and Algonquin Park
- 13a. Motorcycle Journeys in Northeastern Ontario
- 13b. Big Country Rides in Algoma
- 13c. Motorcycle Magic in Northwestern Ontario
If you are visiting Ontario from a different country, check our our article on important information for out-of-country motorcyclists.
Here are a few more articles that you might find useful for planning your trip:
- Ontario Motorcycle Routes: A Complete Listing (Updated for 2013)
- Ontario Motorcycle Dealers and Repair Shops - the Complete Listing
- Ontario Motorcycle Clubs
- Ontario Motorcycle Rentals
Wherever you end up in this great province, you are most definitely in for a treat. Make Ontario yours!