Body Worlds Rx provides an amazingly unique opportunity to explore the biology and physiology of the human body, and the impacts of diseases and ailments. This world-famous exhibit is making its first appearance in Ontario and aims to show the fragility, resilience, and strength of the human body. Each of the over 100 specimens are preserved by the revolutionary process of Plastination, which was invented by Dr. Gunther von Hagens.
Science North has been working for two years to completely recreate their 4th floor and it is finally here! The reimagined 4th floor has been designed to allow public visitors of all ages to engage with new exhibits, programs, and experiences. Science North invites you to test your ideas, embrace failure, and to challenge yourself to try something different. Their new mission statement: “Everything is an experiment—in the reimagined 4th floor, we provide the tools and you bring the inspiration and innovation.”
The exhibits in this new space encourage visitors to experiment with physical phenomena, engineering challenges, and tinkering. In this area, you can find experiences with light and sound, magnetism, math, coding, and building, which promotes visitors to delve into the processes that mirror the scientific method, design thinking, and creative approaches to problem solving. These experiences are a great opportunity for young people to get an introduction to skills that will be extremely valuable in the tech-focused world of today.
Some of the highlights of the reimagined 4th floor include these new areas:
- Data Base: This workshop area with focus on digital technologies and design including experimenting with code, creating your personal video game, and getting an introduction to video and photography.
- Tech Lab: The tech lab encourages you to creat by putting tolls in your hands and provides you the ability to build circuits, experiment with electronics, build robotics, and much more.
- Prototype Lab: This lab is the best opportunity imaginable for developing minds to learn crucial skills for the future. Here visitors are able to learn about science, technology, engineering, math, and art through creative thinking. The Prototype Lab is home to 3D printers, laser cutters, vacuum formers, and more!
Here are some of the new IMAX productions currrently playing at Science North:
- Superpower Dogs: This production takes you on an adventure to experience the life-saving behaviour and incredible bravery of some of the world’s most amazing dogs. This true story tours you around the world to meet remarkable dogs who save lives and to discover the powerful bond they share with their human partners.
- Great Bear Rainforest: Journey to a land of grizzlies, coastal wolves, sea otters and the all-white spirit bear which is the rarest bear on earth. Found on Canada’s remote Pacific coast, it is the last intact temperate rainforest in the world thus making it one of the wildest places on earth.
- LEGO Movie 2 - March Break only! (March 8-17): The citizens of Bricksburg face a dangerous new threat when LEGO DUPLO invaders from outer space start to wreck everything in their path. The battle to defeat the enemy and restore harmony to the LEGO universe takes Emmet, Lucy, Batman, and the rest of their friends to faraway, unexplored worlds that test their courage and creativity.
Dynamic Earth is back and open for a new season! Come see the world’s largest coin, and descend seven storeys underground. Also take in Dynamic Earth’s brand new exhibit “Go Deeper.” This exhibit will give you a chance to experience modern mining and try your hand at virtual reality. Master the art of Mining with Mircrobes, or take a journey in one of the multimedia shows.
Whether you are planning on checking out one of these new and exciting events over March Break, or are looking forward and planning for the future, it will definitely be worth your time. Science North's Reimagined 4th Floor is providing invalueable skills and knowledge to young people to get them a step ahead in today's high-tech, innovative world.