ctrl down video player Home Menu Where Am I? Subscribe Popular
Northern Ontario Travel
The Official Magazine
Home > Explore > Algoma Country

Canada Border Crossing Information

Image credit

Canada Border Crossing Information

Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge Crossing. • Credit: Rob LaRue

Types of Identification, Handling misdemeanours, and Who To Talk to

Are you a foreign citizen planning a trip to Canada? We want to make sure you have all the information you'll need to cross the border. For information about what you can bring to Canada, firearms and weapons, you can find more information at the Algoma Country website www.algomacountry.com

This article answers two of the most popular questions that Algoma staff are asked about crossing the border into Canada.

Do I need a Passport to cross the border?

All US citizens aged 16+ entering Canada by land, air or sea must present one of the following:

  • US Passport: Accepted for travel by land, sea and air.
  • US Passport Card: This limited-use travel document fits in a wallet and costs less than a passport. Only valid for travel by land and sea.
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL): Specifically designed for cross-border travel into the US by land and sea, several states and Canadian provinces/territories issue a special driver's license/identification document that denotes identity and citizenship.
  • Trusted Traveler Program Cards: NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST enrolment cards can speed your entry and are issued only to pre-approved low risk travelers. These are valid for travel by land and sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Travllers aged 15 and under require a birth certificate for land and sea travel, and a passport for air travel.


For current requirements visit Canada Border Services Agency or US Customs and Border Protection

Have you or a traveler in your group been charged with a felony or misdemeanour?

If you or someone in your party has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor conviction, you may not be allowed to enter Canada. 

Admissibility depends on the nature of the offence, how many you have and how long ago it occurred. 


You may have to complete some paperwork. Immigration Canada authorities will be able to advise you. Final determination for admissibility into Canada is made at the time of border crossing.


For more information visit the Canada Border Services Agency website or speak to an Immigration Officer by phone to discuss your situation: 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada) or (204) 983-3500 (outside of Canada).

If you are a guest or a lodge owner, you can speak directly to someone over the phone about any of these border crossing issues. Please phone 1-800-665-5787 at the NOTO (Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario) office.


It's imporant to know that all US travelers entering into Canada are required by law to declare all food, plant and animal items (including by-products). There are regular adjustments made to requirements because of pest and disease situations.

There are two websites you should read before you pack for your trip, to ensure you follow rules and help ease wait times at the border:

To learn more about what you can and cannot bring into Canada, visit this page of the Canada Border Services Agency's website: Bring Goods Across the Border


You can order a Free Algoma Travel Guide at the website www.algomacountry.com or phone toll free 1-800-263-2546. Our travel guide and website has everything you need to know about fishing, hunting, touring by motorcycle, RV or car, and canoeing, kayaking and hiking adventures in our region of Ontario. Our guide also contains information about our communities, shopping, dining and has a full business listing.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure this information is accurate but we cannot be held responsible for the information provided herein.

Discover this Region
Sault-Ste Marie is a 7 hour drive from Toronto

Featured articles