What kinds of Canadian winter experiences are there to enjoy in North Bay?
Well, yeah. Did you know North Bay is the birthplace of ringette? The game was invented by Sam Jacks, the Director of Parks & Recreation for the City of North Bay, in 1963. The rules he recorded 50 years ago are still the basis for today's ringette game.
2. Downhill Ski or Snowboard
Downhill skiing and snowboarding are extremely popular sports, and where better to experience it than within 10 minutes of downtown North Bay?
3. Hit The Trails
There are an incredible amount of trails in the area, and many cross-country clubs who offer snowshoe or ski rentals. Spend some time with friends, snowshoeing or cross-country skiing on one of the following trail systems:
- Canadore College Trail System
- North Bay Nordic Ski Club
- Wasi Cross Country Ski Club
- West Nipissing Nordic Ski Trails
- Sturgeon River House Museum Guided Snowshoe
- Nature's Harmony Ecolodge Trail System
4. Try Ice Fishing
There are two subdivisions in North Bay; The City of North Bay, which is firmly planted on the ground. And, Lake Nipissing's ice bungalow village, which only appears in the winter months.
There are MANY fully-outfitted bungalows available for rent, typically beginning January 1st (weather permitting). Check out the full round-up of ice bungalows on Lake Nipissing.
5. Winter Celebrations
We believe Winter is a season to celebrate. The following events will be happening in and around North Bay this winter:
- Families First New Year's Eve Celebrations, Memorial Gardens, 100 Chippewa St. W, North Bay
- Into The White Annual Snowshoe Race, Nature's Harmony Ecolodge, 574 Snake Creek Rd., Mattawa