Every sport has its iconic destinations and events that get your adrenaline rushing when their names are mentioned. In Ontario, the diverse terrain makes it a natural venue for free riding and mountain bike touring on single or double-track trails. Discover the best mountain bike trails Ontario has to offer.
Best Places to Mountain Bike in Ontario
The top places for you to ride will depend on your level of experience and type of ride you are looking for. Do you want an easy scenic tour through a forest, a thrilling descent down a mountain or to test your skills in a mountain bike park? Check out these awesome places to go mountain biking in Ontario.
Northern Ontario mountain bike Hot spots
If you are looking for real challenge and adventure, these Northern Ontario destinations have some of the most rugged mountain bike trails in Ontario.
Sudbury and Area
- The Lake Laurentian Conservation Area has a multi-use trail system used by both hikers and bikers. Some of the trails are very technical and challenging with lots of exposed bedrock.
- Kivi Park, with higher altitude expert trails to gentle single track trails, is one of the most popular places to ride in Sudbury.
- The Walden Mountain Bike Trails are trails built by mountain bikers for mountain bikers. Home to the longest and best descents in the city and strategically built climbs, this trail system is addicting.
Sault Ste. Marie and Algoma Country
- The Hiawatha Highlands trails in Sault Ste. Marie are heavy on twists and turns with a steady supply of rocks and roots.
- Bellevue Valley, near Goulais River, is not for the faint of heart. Ride the biggest elevation drop north of Lake Superior.
- The 14 km Lookout Trail in Pancake Bay Provincial Park has a definite wilderness adventure feel to it.
Thunder Bay and Area
- Sleeping Giant Provincial Park mountain bike trails are must-do rides for beginners to experts. Pedal and hike to some of the best views of Lake Superior.
- Kama Cliffs Trail in Nipigon may be short (8 km) in length but don’t be fooled, it’s a uphill grind all the way to a spectacular view of Lake Superior.
- The trails at Shuniah Mines near Thunder Bay offer 41 km of single track for intermediate to advanced mountain bikers.
- Discover fat biking in Thunder Bay region.
North Bay and Area
North Bay offers four seasons of cycling with excellent mountain biking and fat biking trails. Discover a local’s guide to cycling in North Bay.
For a unique and thrilling adventure, why not try bikejoring? The Haliburton Forest Siberian huskies that love to pull sleds in the winter also love to pull bikes in the fall. It is great exercise for both the rider and the husky.
Turkey Point Mountain Biking
The Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club has created some of the best mountain bike trails in Ontario. Over 86 km of single track trail will take you along 100-foot deep cut ridges adjacent to the Long Point World Biosphere Reserve and through Turkey Point Provincial Park, Long Point Eco Adventures and St. Williams Conservation Reserve.
Mountain Bike Parks in Ontario
Bruce Peninsula Mountain Bike Adventure Park
Ride in the Bruce Peninsula Mountain Bike Adventure Park, Eastern Canada’s first Mountain Bike Park—built in the heart of the Niagara Escarpment, just north of Wiarton.
Over thirty technical trail features including skinnys, rock drops, teeter totters and suspension bridges. The Park boasts a progressional riding design and is suitable for all skill levels. Helmets are mandatory.
Blue Mountain Bike Park – Blue Mountain Resort
Explore the Blue Mountain Bike Park, the largest mountain bike park Ontario has to offer. It’s a six time Top Five winner in the MTBparks.com Riders’ Choice Best Bike Parks Awards for Eastern Canada. Choose from scenic cross-country rambles to heart-pounding runs down the Niagara Escarpment’s best singletrack downhill trails. Stay at the Blue Mountain Resort and ride from your doorstep.
Where to Ride Your Electric Mountain Bike in Ontario
According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, an e-bike or electric bicycle is a bicycle with an added battery-powered electric motor that assists the rider in pedalling. Learn about e-bike laws and where to ride your e-bike safely and legally.
Mountain Bike Events in Ontario
Mountain bikers love to share the adventure with friends and/or challenge themselves at an event. Discover the ultimate list of cycling and mountain bike events in Ontario.
Plan your Mountain Bike Adventure
There’s no shortage of places to mountain bike in Ontario. Click here for a full list of mountain bike trails in Ontario. Start planning your trip now.