The countdown is on for kayaking event of the year. No, it’s not the Rio Olympics – it’s the one that you can compete in.
Last year, kayakers from Toronto, Ottawa, Waterloo, Montreal, the U.S. and more flocked to Timmins to The Great Canadian Kayak Challenge & Festival.
New this year is The Elite Challenge – a physically demanding 32-km race on the Mattagami and Mountjoy Rivers with two 100-metre portages.
Other challenges include:
- The Elite Recreational Challenge is 16 km in length with no portages.
- The Plastic Kayak Challenge – a 10-km race using a plastic kayak.
- The Open Long Boat Challenge – a 6.5-km race with no portages
- The Open Little Boat Challenge – a 6.5-km race in a boat 14’4” and under
- The Novice Challenge – a 5-km race for people with less than 2 years of kayak experience
- The Seniors (Masters) Challenge – a 6.5-km race for paddlers aged 55+
- Youth Challenge – a 3-km race for paddlers aged 14 and under
- The Celebrity Challenge – 3-km race open to invited participants only
Race registration is closes at 4 pm on Thursday August 25, 2016.
In addition to watching you compete, your family and friends can enjoy a mighty Mattagami pontoon boat ride, stand-up paddleboard demonstrations and fun challenge, arts, music, dance, kids fun, leisure tours, amazing fireworks and more.
Take the challenge and sign up today.